Moving House Checklist
Moving house can be a logistical nightmare, especially if important objectives are left until the last minute. Here is a user friendly moving house checklist and time-line for you to make it a little easier and a whole lot less stressful.
6-4 weeks before the move
- Create a file dedicated solely to moving documents and receipts.
- Get a quote from Sydney Moving, and ask for options.
- Check the garage, sheds, the attic, and under the house. Determine what is to be kept and what can be thrown away.
- If you know the floor plan of your new home, start to make decisions about where you want furniture items placed. Make a second copy for Sydney Moving.
- Advise the mover about any difficulties in obtaining access to your present property and the new address. If required, remember to get approval to park a truck.
- If moving to or from a high-rise or unit, book lift access in advance, and inform the removalist as they may need to cover the lift to avoid damage.
- Remember to advise your insurer of moving dates to make certain your contents are insured before and after moving.
- Advise phone companies, Foxtel, or TV providers of your moving dates and schedule reconnection.
- It’s a good idea to start early sorting out your belongings. It’s a waste of money to move goods that are only going to be thrown away at a later date. Contact charitable organisations for collection of unwanted items that are in good condition.
- If doing your own packing and boxing, it makes sense to start now. Label the boxes.
2 weeks before the move
- Borrowed items should be returnedsuch as DVDs and library books.
- Flammable liquids and paints cannot be carried on moving trucks, so make alternative arrangements to have them moved. Alternatively, give them away to friends or neighbours.
- If you would prefer not to do the cleaning up of your present property after the move, it’s a good time to organise professional cleaners.
- Confirm phone, internet, and Foxtel connection dates.
7 days-2 days before the move
- Get in touch with electricity, water, and gas companies regarding meter readings, plus connection and disconnection dates and times.
- Compile a list of moving day requirements. Get in touch with Sydney Moving with any questions you may have.
- If possible, arrange for someone else to look after your pets during the move. It can be a very unsettling time for animals.
- Drain all fuel from movers and other devices, including gas bottles and heaters.
- Notify neighbours if there is any concern about the moving truck obstructing their access. This will enable them to move any cars that may be in the way on the day of the move.
- For those doing their own packing, it’s time to box up remaining items, while leaving essential items for last.
- It’s best that valuables, money, jewellery be moved by the customer, as they are not insured by the moving company.
1 day before moving
- Keep items that you don’t want packed or moved by Sydney Moving in a designated area. These include your wallet, keys, license, and travel documents.
- It’s time to defrost the refrigerator and freezer. Toss out any unwanted food, keeping only what will be utilised in the new house.
- Complete any final washing and ensure there are no clothes in the washing machine and dryer.
- Don’t rush. Enjoy a nice breakfast as it could be a long day ahead.
- Check you have all essentials with you. You may also like to keep fresh bed linen aside, plus a few kitchen essentials to help you get settled in.
- Be ready when Sydney Moving arrive. They are almost always right on time.
- Show the removalist in charge anything that is not to be loaded for the move.
- Once the removalists have loaded the truck, do a final walk through and make certain that everything you want loaded is on the truck.
- Ensure the removalist has your contact details, including address of your new home and phone number.
- After the truck has left and you are also ready to depart, ensure all lights are switched off, windows are closed, and doors are locked.
- If possible, have someone at the new home to show the removalist where to place furniture and heavy items.
Following the steps of this moving house checklist will guarantee you move is timely and successful, hopefully with enough time at the end of the day to put your feet up and celebrate a job well done.
By Corey K (follow me on Google )